I have one word for today: exhausted. College for Kids started today and I am teaching glass painting. This is my fourth year teaching. After waking up with a headache at 3 a.m., there is nothing I wanted to do more than sleep this morning, but I still got up and meandered my way over to Winona State to set up my classroom. It was a productive day, but I’m going to have to remember to sit down for a little bit tomorrow. Making dinner was NOT fun tonight However, Macaroni and Cheese has always been a favorite of mine (well anything with cheese really), so it was a great choice. We have made several Macaroni and Cheese recipes, but nothing… and I mean NOTHING compares. Many people I know love Velveeta and shells, etc. I dare you to try this one. You will not be upset – AND you will be eating real food! Imagine that! Something that I have noticed is that baked macaroni tends to lose a lot of flavor. This recipe is all stove-top. And boy is it CHEESY! Thanks to Cook Yourself Thin for yet another amazing recipe.
Macaroni and Cheese with Broccoli & Tomatoes
(Slightly modified from Cook Yourself Thin)
- 1 box gluten-free pasta (we use Schar Penne) (12 oz.)
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons gluten-free flour (we use King Arthur)
- 1 3/4 cups skim or 1% milk
- 8-10 oz. extra-sharp cheddar cheese (we use Cracker Barrel), shredded
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pepper to taste
- Pinch nutmeg
- 1 bag frozen broccoli florets
- 2 Roma tomatoes, diced (or 1/2 package sun-dried tomatoes, chopped)
- Shredded Parmesan cheese and red pepper flakes for topping (if desired)
- Steam broccoli or microwave until thawed and heated.
- Boil water for pasta and cook according to package directions.
- While pasta cooks, melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and cook, whisking constantly until golden – about 2 minutes.
- Continue whisking and slowly add milk. Bring mixture to a simmer, whisking constantly, until thickened – about 2 minutes.
- Remove sauce from heat, add cheese, and stir until cheese melts. Add drained pasta, stir, and add Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Mix until well coated.
- Add broccoli and tomatoes. Top with shredded Parmesan cheese, if desired.