After a night of SH’BAM and Body Pump at the Y, I was definitely ready for a hearty meal. So I found this recipe on pinterest, but modified it to suit my own tastes and a bit healthier! It is simply amazing! I have really been encouraged lately by the white sauces that are capable of tasting delicious without a bunch of cream and butter. This one is definitely worth a try.
Creamy Tortellini with Goat Cheese
- 1 bag frozen cheese-filled tortellini
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces (If you are crunched for time, you can use chicken pieces from the deli section – just skip to salt and pepper and cooking piece of the recipe for the chicken.)
- salt and pepper
- ¼ cup chopped red onion or 1 shallot
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bunch (about 1 lb.) asparagus, ends trimmed then cut into 2″ pieces
- 8 oz baby bella mushrooms, halved
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- ¾ cup skim milk
- 4 Tbsp. flour, separated
- 4 oz. goat cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Cooking spray (such as PAM)
- Bring large pot water to a boil.
- Place asparagus in a steamer and bring water to a boil. Cook until asparagus is bright green.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Spray sauté pan with cooking spray. Add chicken and cook 5-7 minutes (flipping halfway through) until the outside is lightly golden and the center is cooked. Remove chicken and set aside. Add 1 Tbsp. olive oil. Once heated, add the shallot/red onion and garlic. Sauté for 2 minutes, then add the mushrooms. Continue cooking for another 4-6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until mushroom juices are absorbed. Remove skillet from heat and add steamed asparagus.
- While the vegetables are cooking, heat the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add 2 Tbsp. flour, and whisk quickly to combine, then let cook for 1 minute.
- Whisk together milk and remaining 2 Tbsp. flour. Add to small saucepan with butter.
- Add 1 cup of the pasta water, goat cheese, Parmesan cheese, and a generous pinch of salt and pepper, and whisk to combine. Cook for 1 minute, then reduce heat to low until the pasta is ready. If the sauce is too thick, gradually add additional tablespoons of pasta water until you reach the desired consistency.
- Drain the pasta once it has cooked, then immediately toss with the goat cheese sauce, chicken and vegetables.