My brother suggested that we make paella the other night. I have had it before a really liked it, so I was excited to try it out. We also make rhubarb pie. So yes, pie and paella! Kind of fun to say actually 🙂 It was so good, we hardly had any leftovers.
Shrimp Paella with Peas
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound fresh medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 12 ounces soyrizo, sliced in 1/2-inch rounds
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 cup whole grain rice
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup frozen green peas, thawed
- Mix 1 cup dry rice and 3 cups chicken broth in a 9×9 glass baking dish and microwave for 30 minutes.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add chopped onion and cook until transclucent – 3-4 minutes. Add garlic and cook 2 more minutes. Add soyrizo, stirring, until it begins to brown – about 2 more minutes.
- Stir in paprika, turmeric and tomatoes, stirring frequently. Cook another 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large sauce pan over medium-high heat. Cook shrimp until just pink on both sides, 4 to 5 minutes (do not overcook). Set aside.
- Microwave peas about 1 1/2 minutes until thawed. Add peas, cooked rice and shrimp to paella and serve.