My word for today is “tired.” We attended Claire’s wedding on Saturday – which was sooo much fun! And then napped yesterday when we got home. Now Monday, I’m still as tired as I would be if I hadn’t slept last night. Either way, dinner still needs to be made. Plus, I really, really, like creamy sauces, and when it doesn’t have to have a lot of fat in it, I just have to make it!
Healthy Chicken Alfredo with Mushrooms and Tomatoes
- 3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, sauteed and cut into chunks (about 2 cups)
- 2 roma tomatoes, diced
- 8 oz. sliced mushrooms, any variety
- 8 ounces whole wheat penne pasta
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup plain FAGE Total 0% Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup skim or 1% milk
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper and salt, each
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 2/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- In a pot of boiling, salted water, cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Sautee chicken breasts until fully cooked.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium-low heat. Add garlic and cook until fragrant – 1-2 minutes.
- Add chicken broth to pan. Whisk together flour, yogurt and milk and add to pan. Add pepper, salt and cayenne.
- Bring to a low boil, stirring constantly. Lower the heat and simmer, stirring gently, until the mixture thickens, about 3 minutes. Stir in Parmesan.
- Sautee mushrooms until juices start to evaportate – about 5 minutes.
- Add cooked chicken, mushrooms, raw tomatoes to sauce, followed by the cooked pasta. Toss to combine and serve with more Parmesan, if desired.