I start my first full week of work tomorrow and I’m more than excited. It has been raining/sleeting/snowing all day and the roads are a mess. We contemplated not going to the gym, but realized that the roads were much better than the sidewalks. I’m not sure how different that will be tomorrow morning! After body pump today, we felt like something healthy and warm, so we decided on soup. Carlos has a soft spot for Sweet Corn Cake so we made that, too. I’m not such a fan and it’s not the healthiest, but he also doesn’t buy it that often!
Creamy Spinach and Potato Soup with Leeks
- 1 teaspoon EVOO (extra-virgin vegetable oil)
- 6 cups chicken broth
- ½ cup skim milk
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 leeks (white part only), sliced
- ½ yellow onion (about ½ cup), chopped
- 6 ounces spinach, chopped
- 3 medium potatoes, cubed (skin left on – about 4 cups)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons cheddar cheese, shredded (optional or as garnish)
- 2 tablespoons plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and red pepper. Sautee until onion is soft – about 3 minutes.
- Bring the broth, milk, leeks and spinach to a simmer. Cover and cook 5 minutes. Add yellow onion.
- Add potatoes and cook, covered, for 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Puree the soup mixture and return to saucepan.
- Add salt, pepper, and cheese. Mix until cheese is melted.
- Add Greek yogurt and stir or use yogurt as a garnish.