I have tried many, many versions of tomato soup, but this by far is my favorite. I was so curious about the recipe when I first read it because it had tomatoes, black beans, and cilantro… wait what? Yeah, that’s what I thought, too, but the combination is so complimentary. This recipe also makes enough for plenty of left-overs. We made it with the Mango, Avocado and Lime Salad as well as Corn Bread.
Tomato and Black Bean Soup
(slight variation from Ellie Krieger’s Recipe)
- 2 cans diced tomatoes (do not drain)
- 2 cans unsalted black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon EVOO (Extra-Virgin Olive Oil)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 5 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon Mexican chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, stems cut off
- Heat the EVOO in a large pot. Add onion and garlic and cook until onions are softened – about 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, beans, cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and blend with an immersion blender.
- Stir in hot sauce.
- Top with fresh cilantro.