I always feel sorry for people who buy jarred or canned Alfredo sauce because it has the potential to be so, so much better. I have it pictured below with cheese tortellini. We added roasted red peppers and sun-dried tomatoes to the sauce – awesome addition. The great part is, this sauce is pretty easy to make and doesn’t take a lot of time.
Healthier Easy Alfredo Sauce
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup cold low-fat (1%) milk (or 3/4 cup skim milk with 1/4 cup cream or whole milk)
- 1/2 cup evaporated skim milk (not condensed milk)
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup freshly shredded Parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Combine the flour and milk, stirring until the flour is dissolved. Heat the butter in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the milk-flour mixture and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture begins to boil. Reduce the heat to low and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes more.
- Add the evaporated skim milk, the salt, and the cheese and cook, stirring, until the cheese is melted, about 1 minute.
- If needed, reserved a little pasta water to loosen the sauce if it’s too thick.