I can still smell the delicious balsamic glaze cooking on the stove top. We went to Signatures last night for dinner while Carlos’s dad was in town. Carlos and I had vegetarian sandwiches with beets. While we ate them, we thought about how good those would be with mushrooms. And here were are tonight, making just that. We paired these with home-made fries.
Portobello Mushroom Burgers
(modified from Prevention RD – check out this site if you have time to marinade the mushrooms)
- 2 Portobello mushrooms (1 per burger)
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons pesto
- Handful mixed greens
- 2 oz. white goat cheese, separated into small pieces
- 2 large ciabatta or foccacia buns
- Cooking spray or extra-virgin olive oil
- Heat vinegar in a small saucepan over medium heat. Allow liquid to boil – let simmer 15-20 minutes until reduced by half. Set aside to cool for at least 10 minutes to thicken.
- Heat stove-top grill pan over medium heat. Add mushrooms and cook 3-4 minutes per side. Remove from heat and cover to keep warm.
- Spray the cut side of each bun (with cooking spray or apply olive oil with basting brush) and place cut-side down on the grill pan until warmed and slightly browned. (You can toast the other side briefly if you desire.)
- Spread pesto on both sides of buns, add mixed greens to bottom side, add the mushroom (upside down), top with goat cheese and drizzle with balsamic glaze. Finish with other half of ciabatta.
- Drizzle balsamic glaze on top of mushrooms and goat cheese.