If you love lasagna and you love zucchini, you will love this. I first say this idea on Pinterest and decided to try it and make it my own. It takes a little while to prepare, so be sure you start with plenty of time.
Turkey Lasagna with Zucchini Pasta (modified from Skinny Taste)
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 teaspoon EVOO (extra-virgin olive oil)
- Salt (as needed)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 (14.5 oz. can) diced tomatoes (no salt added)
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 3 zucchini, sliced 1/8 inch thick
- 15 oz. part-skim ricotta cheese
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 8 oz shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/8 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/8 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded (part reserved for topping)
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Heat a large saucepan over medium heat and brown the meat. Season lightly with salt. Remove meat from pan.
- Add olive oil and saute onions and garlic – about 2 minutes.
- Return meat to the pan and add tomatoes, basil, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Simmer on low for about 30 minutes, covered.
- Meanwhile, slice the zucchini and lightly salt and set aside. After about 10 minutes, blot the zucchini with paper towels to remove excess water.
- Grill the zucchini on a stove-top grill pan (or saute pan if this is not available) – about 1-2 minutes per side. Place back on paper towels to remove excess moisture.
- In a bowl, mix ricotta cheese, Parmesan cheese, 1/8 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning and egg.
- Using a 9×12 glass baking pan, spread some sauce on the bottom and layer with zucchini. Add ricotta cheese mixture and top with light layer of mozzarella. Repeat process until all ingredients used up. Top with sauce and cover with left over mozzarella and/or extra Parmesan cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 15 minutes. Let stand 5-10 minutes before serving.