Oh boy. This sandwich is just going to wow you. I absolutely love sunflower seeds, so perhaps that’s why I’m so addicted, but either way. YUM!
Sunflower Veggie Sandwich
- 2 pieces wheat bread (toasted) – choose a special bread for this – something from the bakery section
- Herbed cream cheese (we used plain and added fresh rosemary and Italian seasoning)
- Roasted and salted sunflower seeds
- Shredded carrots
- Cucumbers, sliced (skin on)
- Yellow onion, sliced
- Tomato, sliced
- Fresh sprouts (be sure to wash and dry with paper towel)
- Toast the bread so it’s slightly browned, but not too crunchy. About a 3 or 4 on a toaster.
- Add herbed cream cheese to both slices.
- Slice cucumbers thin enough so they don’t bulk up the sandwich too much (I used 4 sliced per sandwich).
- If you are shredding your own carrots, us a food processor – otherwise, buy it shredded – and add on top of cucumbers.
- Add yellow onion, to your liking.
- Add tomato slices – again thinly sliced – 4 per sandwich (if using roma).
- Add sprouts and top with sunflower seeds.
- The toughest part is flipping the sandwich together.
- Enjoy – because the flip was so worth it!
Note: If you shred your own carrots, they will be more moist and softer than store-bought, pre-shredded. Just and FYI. Did I also mention that it is cheaper to shred your own? 🙂