For the last few weeks, I have been on a lactose-free diet (doctor’s orders). This pita sandwich has become my lunch staple. Even if I eat at my desk, I pull out my ingredients and make my lunch in front of my computer. I get giggles from my co-workers, but boy is it worth it! This is delicious! Seriously, who needs cheese? (Well, I do…. but I can’t admit that right now!)
Hummus Veggie Pita
- 1 whole-wheat pita or flatbread
- 3 Tablespoons Hummus (my recipe)
- 6 slices cucumber
- 1/4 cup shredded carrots
- 1/8 cup alfalfa sprouts
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon sunflower seeds (optional)
- Spread hummus over flatbread so it covers it like pizza sauce.
- Lay cucumbers in 2 rows of 3.
- Top one side with shredded carrots (store-bought shredded or shredded in a food processor)
- Top one side with sprouts.
- Add sunflower seeds if desired.
- Top with mayonnaise if desired.
*Note: You really don’t need the mayonnaise on this sandwich, but honestly, I have had it both ways, and the mayonnaise adds the perfect kick. It’s a nice compliment to the hummus and vegetables.