This was the post I was going to write when I started on my previous gluten-free tangent. Carlos is looking at my cooking with envy as he knows he can have some of my snack mix, but not a lot, since the purpose is so I have something to snack on that’s gluten-free. I forgot to mention that although individuals on a gluten-free diet can’t drink most beers, they can still have Angry Orchard Hard Cider. Oh, happy day!
The original recipe may have been gluten-free, but it was no where near healthy! Here is my revised version.
Gluten-Free Chex Snack Mix
- 8 cups corn chex cereal
- 2 cups gluten-free pretzels
- 1/2 cup pecan pieces
- 1 cup whole raw almonds
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- cooking spray (be sure this is gluten-free without any added wheat flour)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix chex, pretzels and nuts in a large bowl.
- Heat butter, brown sugar and cayenne pepper in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and cook 1 minute.
- Pour butter mixture over dry cereal, pretzels and nuts. Mix.
- Coat 2 cookie sheets with cooking spray or use the butter wrapper.
- Spread mix on greased cookie sheets.
- Bake 8 minutes. Remove and stir. Bake for another 8 minutes.
- Cool and store in air-tight container. We used an old ice cream bucket.