WOW! I have really impressed myself with this recipe. Carlos’s father and step-mother came for dinner last last to celebrate Carlos Senior’s birthday. I wanted to try this soup. I found a base recipe and then added what I thought it needed to be perfect. And perfect it was. This is probably my new favorite soup – and it should be yours too! It is THAT good.
Roasted Red Pepper with Smoked Gouda Soup
- 1 tablespoon EVOO
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 (8oz.) jars roasted red peppers (available at the dollar store), chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 1/2 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup butternut squash puree (full squash, halved, baked at 400 for 1 hour)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup milk or evaporated milk
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 1/2 cup or 6 oz. shredded smoked Gouda cheese
- Bake butternut squash (if needed).
- Heat oil in large soup pot. Add onion and cook – about 3 minutes – until tender.
- Add garlic and cook another minute.
- Add carrots, roasted red peppers, chicken broth, tomato paste, squash puree, diced tomatoes, thyme, paprika, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer (uncovered) about 25 minutes.
- Remove from heat, add milk, and slightly puree using an immersion blender. Be sloppy about this blending as the more chunks there are in the soup the better.
- Return soup to heat, add cheese and fresh basil. Cook until cheese is melted.
- Top with additional basil if desired for garnish.