Sometimes simple is better. After attending the Blandin Community Leadership Program last week, we have been taking it easy this week. On our last day of the program, we had tomato soup and grilled cheese. I thought it would be nice to duplicate that meal in our own kitchen this evening.
Tomato Basil Soup with Grilled Cheese
- 1 tablespoon EVOO
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (14 oz.) cans diced tomatoes (no salt added)
- 1 (14 oz.) can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup heavy cream, evaporated milk, or half and half
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- Heat the EVOO in a medium-large pot.
- Saute the garlic – about 1 minute – until fragrant.
- Add the tomatoes (with juice) and mush with a potato masher.
- Add chicken broth, sugar, salt, and pepper.
- Bring soup to a simmer. Simmer 10 minutes.
- Add the cream (or whatever you chose to use) and blend using an immersion blender. Be sloppy with this so there are chunks of tomato.
- Add basil.
- Top with Parmesan cheese or extra basil, if desired.
There is nothing special about our grilled cheese sandwiches – except I only use extra-sharp cheddar and use gluten-free bread. Yum!