8 p.m. is a little late to still be waiting on dinner, but I suppose when you cook every night, it ends up being that late anyway.
French Onion Soup
(adapted from Cook Yourself Thin)
- 1/4 cup Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- 3-4 large onions, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices crosswise
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme – separated from stems
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken stock/broth
- Allergen/Gluten-Free Bread in a mug (optional)
- 1 large slice Gruyere or provolone cheese (for those without allergies or sensitivities)
- 2 Chicken Sausages (Trader Joe’s Spicy Jalapeno)
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add onions, thyme, bay leaves, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are golden (not brown) and nearly melting, about 45 minutes.
- Stir in wine and simmer, stirring occasionally, until reduced by half. Stir in stock and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes.
- If using cheese, add allergen-gluten free bread (if desired) to an oven-safe bowl filled with soup and top with cheese. Melt using broil until cheese is melted. Careful not to burn.
- If not using cheese, use allergen/gluten-free bread for dipping on the side.
- Saute the Chicken Sausage (1 per bowl of soup) and add to the soup for a balanced meal and extra flavor!